A central tenet of yoga practice is mindfulness. And for conscientious yoga instructors, there’s a way to bring legal peace of mind to your practice.
While yoga injury lawsuits are rare, they do occur. Having liability insurance for your yoga practice could help keep you and your business safe.
The Need for Liability Insurance
Yoga instructors have a commitment to ethical and spiritual growth and development, but every now and then, the physical may not be able to keep up, resulting in muscle, joint, or bone injuries. As mindful and careful as instructors can be with their students, injuries can happen, and as positive a relationship as instructors can have with their clients, they may file an injury lawsuit.
Among other insurance your small business may need, commercial liability insurance can cover injuries that your company or employees cause to third parties. A good liability insurance policy can include the cost of defense attorneys, mediation, trial, and potentially settlement funds.
Liability Insurance Options
Along with the reasons a yoga teacher may need liability insurance, there are also a few small business insurance plans to choose from:
- General liability insurance: Protects against liability if you or your employees injure someone, damage property, or even if someone slips and falls at your business. This may be required in your commercial lease.
- Professional liability insurance: Protects against liability if a customer alleges he or she suffered a financial loss as a result of an error, omission, or negligence in services offered by your business.
- Disability insurance: Protects you if you are injured and suffer financial loss; disability insurance can protect your income for a period of time in the event of a serious accident or illness.
- Umbrella liability insurance: Protects against claims that exceed the amount of coverage on your general liability insurance.
If someone has been injured at your yoga studio, or if you’ve been injured doing yoga, you may want to consult an experienced injury attorney near you.
- Have an injury claim? Get your claim reviewed for free. (Consumer Injury)
- Liability for Injury: Insurance Options (FindLaw)
- School Sued Over Yoga Classes (FindLaw’s Injured)
- School’s Yoga Program Fit for Kids, Judge Rules (FindLaw’s Law and Daily Life)
Originally Seen On: http://blogs.findlaw.com/injured/2015/08/do-yoga-teachers-need-liability-insurance.html